The Playing Field is a charity registered with the Charity Commission – registration number 1085132. The charity trustee is the Parish Council – the body corporate and not the individual Parish Councillors serving at the time. Its charitable origin is through a conveyance dated 15 November 1938 and a deed of dedication dated 17 April 1939. The Playing Field is registered as “a recreation ground and playing field to be preserved in perpetuity as a memorial to King George V under the provisions of the King George’s Fields Foundation.
In more recent time there have been changes: land has been leased to the Newington Village Hall Management Committee for the building of a village hall and car park; the installation of two junior goal posts; and, the installation of a junior play area (children up to 10 years old) consisting of a rubber safety surface, a climbing frame, a slide, a set of 2 traditional swings and a bench – all enclosed within metal fencing.
In late 2011 the Parish Council, as the trustee, was approached by local residents to see if another play area could be installed for children above 10 and other age groups. The proposal is being developed in a partnership between the charity, the Parish Council and an enthusiastic group of young, and not so young, local residents. By January 2012, the charity had given its agreement in principle and was working through the detailed implications with a view to inaugurating the “Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Park” in 2012.